+Monday, August 29, 2005+
This song haunts me. I liked it until I saw the video, and now I can't hardly listen to it period. Much to my dismay, the radio station I listen to plays it about a trillion times a day, and the thought of the video makes me cringe. What song am I talking about? Why, Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends," of course. If you haven't yet seen this video, you can get that runnin' by clicking here (you'll need Windows Media Player to run it from the link I've supplied, and as with all things, the slower your connection, the longer it'll take to load, so if you're stuck in the stone age with dial up, be patient!!). There's "acting" in the video, so take the 6 minutes or so to devote your entire attention to it...I'll wait for ya (if the link didn't work, please let me know in the comments and I'll find another way for you to watch it. Or you could just go to someplace like Yahoo! music and find it for yourself...)

.....

Are you done? Did you watch it? Good. Now I can tell you how incredibly outraged I was with the middle of the video when his girlfriend slaps him for joining the army. He yells at her that "of all people I thought you'd understand. I thought you'd be proud." DAMN RIGHT!! That portrayal seems so far off base to me, I feel a little ripped off. Granted, this is supposed to be a couple of 18-year olds in the video, but I know a handful of girlfriends in my FRG who're no older than that themselves who would certainly not SLAP their boyfriends for joining this cause. It struck me as unbelievably selfish. Okay, I know, it's "just a video," but this got me boiling because the majority of the girls I talk to who're back home waiting for their soldiers are nothing but 110% supportive of what their loved one is doing. I would've much rather have seen a video of a girl who's sad to see her soldier off, but sucks it up and does what she has to - that seems so much more realistic to me, and no less "dramatic" if shock factor is what they were after. In fact, I think it would be MORE tear-provoking. I also probably wouldn't have even been so appalled were it not for the fact that she freaking slapped him - my initial reaction was, what? Did he cheat on her? Especially because she was yelling, "How could you?" Oh, no, she slapped him because he joined the army and she's a selfish little girl....

Of course this is all just my opinion of it :-) Other thoughts or comments on the video...?


wishing matt was here @ 3:38 PM+
|


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *