+Monday, May 23, 2005+
The final hours of countdown have begun! Matt called me last night to say that he should be leaving the base in the next 48 hours (that was almost 24 hours ago), and that if he doesn't call me tonight, it means he's in the air on his way home! Now I'm just sitting around patiently waiting for my phone to ring (or rather, waiting for it NOT to ring...this is the first time I've ever hoped he doesn't call...haha!). He could possibly be here as early as Thursday, and when I allow myself to fully grasp that that's 3 DAYS away, my head starts spinning wildly, I lose control of my nervous system, and start screaming uncontrollably. Okay, okay, that's not really what happens, but I am really really really freaking excited.

I've been working my butt off at work for the last week and now into this week to get ahead and make everything idiot proof to help reduce my work load when I return. Inevitably I'll have many errors to correct when I get back as I always do when I take time off work, but I'm imagining the worst possible scenario with this as I've never taken 2 weeks in a row off work and undoubtedly my desk will be a cluster of choas when I get back - the more I get done now, the less stressed out I'll be when I get back.

I had a really great weekend in Sacramento with my mom, Matt's mom, and Matt's sister. I had Matt's sister try on about a dozen bridesmaid dresses, and when I found one that I would've absolutely, without a doubt, said yes to in a second, I was informed, much to my dismay, that it's been discontinued in blue. Go figure. My second choice was a beautiful flowing A-line gown with an empire waist - really pretty - but I'm thinking no. The attendants at David's Bridal were really pushy about the dress; they kept insisting that if I liked that dress I had to get right away as it was probably going to be discontinued. Choosing a dress that's going to be discontinued over a year before my wedding seems like a pretty bad idea - it means a) I will have 4 bridesmaids. Period. If I want more, too bad 'cause the dress I picked was discontinued, and b) If I find something I like a lot better 7, 8, 9 months down the road, I'm SOL.

I still haven't positively decided no, but my doubts seem to be ensuring that that's going to be the answer. I just can't pick my bridesmaid dresses this far ahead of the wedding; if I do, I need to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I love that dress for all my girls and won't change my mind. I want to be as positive about my bridesmaids' dresses as I was about mine. I would've said yes in a heartbeat to the dress that was my first choice if only it hadn't been discontinued in the color blue. Damn David's Bridal!! I don't think they should ever "discontinue" a dress. They need to open an outlet store is what they need to do.

I did, however, find the absolute perfect gown for my rehearsal dinner. I saw it out of the corner of my eye when I was piling bridesmaid dresses into Matt's sister's arms and decided it couldn't hurt if I tried on a dress too. It didn't fit, and they only happened to have that ONE dress in that ONE size at that particular store, so I did what any girl who's found a dress she knows she must have would do - I ordered it in my size to have it shipped to me (it was only a size too big, so I got a pretty good feel for how it would look on me). It's a red A-line gown with an empire waist - the top of the gown is satiny and shiny, with a "keyhole" in the middle of the bust and the straps starting in the middle of the neckline and wrapping around my neck forming kind of a "V." Where the straps meet the neckline, is a beautiful faux-diamond broach, and the rest of the dress is made out of a flowing, crepe-like material. I LOVE it; when it arrives in 6 - 8 weeks, I'll take a picture of it for all to see. I even bought a pair of sexy, strappy red leather sandals to go with it that were way out of my price range, but so very worth it.

After perusing dresses at David's Bridal, we spent a few hours shopping, ate a delicious meal at P.F. Changs, and saw the Broadway musical production of The Lion King (which was so much fun!). It was a nice weekend with family (and future family) - Matt's mom and I were very excited to be able to talk about Matt coming home! She sent me an email this morning saying, "Just think...this time next week, Matt will be here!" I can't think about it!! It makes me start crying in happiness and my eyes pop out of my head...LOL. I'm eager for him to get here so I can just SEE him already and all this icky anticipation that's churning around in my stomach can just go away!

This'll possibly be my last post for the next couple weeks unless something interesting happens in the next few days. Otherwise, faithful reader, you won't hear from me until after Matt goes back to the sandbox! Then I'll have plenty to update with stories and pictures (and lots and lots of tears). Until then......au revoir!


wishing matt was here @ 4:51 PM+
|


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *